A little sage advice from Sharron – Ultimate Retreat Osteopath & Sports Massage Specialist:
- Exercise has so many benefits, but you must ensure that you exercise safely…If you have any health conditions & are unsure if you should exercise, what type of exercise is good for you & how often you should exercise… seek advice from your Doctor in the first instance.
- Begin your exercise program slowly & boost the activity level gradually…don’t over do it!
- Wear good footwear & appropriate comfortable clothing.
- Ensure that you drink plenty of water before, during & after exercise as overheating can lead to dehydration, so watch out for headaches, dizziness, nausea & cramping…& remember single use plastic bottles are bad for your health & the planet so buy a good quality re-useable sports water bottle, with a 1 litre minimum capacity.
- Take 5-10 minutes to warm up & stretch before exercise & also afterwards…
- Try to ensure that you enjoy a mixture of different types of exercise, this will reduce the risk of overuse injury from repeatedly doing the same exercise.
- When you begin strength training, ensure that you take advice from a well qualified professional trainer, it is essential that you have the correct form & that you are doing it safely, start with lighter weights & don’t rush the exercise.
- Don’t forget to have “rest days” from exercise as your body needs this time to assist recovery.